Frequently asked questions about our cheese and the cheese making process

  1. What is farmstead cheese? What does it mean to produce a farmstead cheese?
    Farmstead cheese is a form of artisanal cheesemaking where the milk for the cheese is produced by a single herd on the cheesemaker's farm. Being a farmstead cheese farm allows us to provide the highest quality cheese to our customers.
  2. What is vegetable rennet?
    Chapel’s Country Creamery cheeses are made using vegetable rennet. Rennet is used broadly to describe any enzyme used for the coagulation of milk in the process of making cheese. Vegetable rennet is most commonly used when describing enzymes produced using microbes. "Vegetable rennet" is sometimes used more generally to describe any non-animal rennet for cheese making.
  3. What is whey?
    The watery liquid portion of the milk left when milk protein, or casein, coagulates to become curd in cheesemaking. Whey is sometimes further processed into whey cheese. It can be separated another step, with butter being made from the fattier share.
  4. What is a cheese vat?
    A cheese vat is a vat or tub in which the curd is formed, cut, and/or broken during the cheese making process.
  5. What is curd?
    Curd is the coagulated or thickened part of milk, as distinguished from the whey, or watery part. It is eaten as food, especially when made into cheese.
Have another question about our cheeses or the cheese making process? Let us know!
Subscribe to our newsletter
Chapel's Country Creamery has had a number  of inclusions in articles, describing the artisan cheese making process, and raw milk cheese. Below are just a few of them!
Marketing House © 2017